Wednesday

Idea from: TESL-L - Lance Jackson


Idea for linking Listening lectures and Presentations

In a recent Advanced listening class I tried using small group presentations and notetaking. This was scaffolded with deconstruction of lectures (on tape). Extracting the key textual features of a lecture and the typical language phrases that appear in each of the stages of lectures. These were collected and put onto posters. Then when small groups had a discussion on some topic, they prepared a presentation that resourced the posters for the types of language they would use: (eg firstly, secondly, for example, an instance of this...).

My note: Our lectures have many cohesive device and methods of restatement which I would like to draw more on for student presentations. I think I will try a similar idea, deconstructing the lecture following the listening by identifying clarification and transitioning language as we take up the outlines.

No comments: